Saturday, May 23, 2009

Peonies Act III

Each
day
brings
another
Peony
into
full
bloom.

This plant bears the double fuchsia petals with the yellow centers.
These are identical to the single type with the exception of having about a hundred times more petals. Some flowers have so many petals that it is impossible to view their centers without prying them open. I imagine it is a brave insect indeed who blindly goes forth into these flowers. It must be like a maze of scented beauty trying to find the pollen.


Each time a new type of Peony opens I say to myself that this one is definitely my favorite. The next day and new blooms finds me saying the same thing all over again. I would not say I am fond of the color pink, however, the Peonies do pink amazingly. I read last evening where variegated colors in Tulips signifies a virus, and I wonder if the few specimens of variegated Peonies I have seen implies the same situation? Variegation in color appears to our naked eye as a marbleization of the true color, usually marbled with white or a very pale shade of the true type color. It is one situation where a virus feels welcome!

No comments: